Every morning upon waking, on an empty stomach and before brushing my teeth, I take a spoonful of GingerChi Oral Detox and swish around my mouth for 15 - 20 minutes or at least till the oil turns milky and thin, and then spit it out.
This process is called Oil pulling and is based on an ancient Ayurvedic tradition called ‘gundusha’. Originating in India thousands of years ago, the practice was used for to maintain oral heath and general wellness through detoxification.
You can use a variety of plant based oils like sesame, olive or coconut. For our GingerChi Oral Detox, formulated especially for oil pulling, we use 100% Organic Sunflower Oil with an abundance of Vitamin E and refreshing blend of essential oils loaded with anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties such as Myrrrh, Tea tree, Peppermint, Tea Tree leaf and Fresh ginger root oil.
When the oil is swished around the mouth, it attracts and ‘pulls out’ bacterial viruses, fungi, mucus and plaque, removing toxins that can cause cavities and gum disease. Medical studies have found Bacteria in the mouth can also seep into the blood stream and travel to your organs, joints, heart and brain, affecting the entire body, causing various diseases. Oil pulling regularly, not only maintains oral health but may also have systemic health benefits that can help cure systemic diseases.
Many who do oil pulling regularly, have documented a plethora of benefits:
- Strengthens teeth, gums and oral health in general
- Cleans and the teeth, removing plaque
- Removes stains
- Eliminates bad breath
- Cures arthritis
- Improves the health of sinuses
- Reduces headaches
- Benefits skin and blood disorders
- Benefits hormonal balance
- increases metabolism
- Reduces chronic inflammation in the body, thereby benefiting heart and brain health.
From my personal experience, since I started oil pulling, I have a lot more energy, my immune system functions better as I hardly have a sick day, my teeth are whiter and gums are healthier (according to my dentist) and my skin is more balanced, softer and healthier looking. I am getting more compliments for my skin now than when I was younger (I am 67 and many people think i am in my 40’s).
Oil Pulling has been part of my daily regimen for a while now and I cannot start a day without it. Here’s how it's done:
1. Upon waking up, on an empty stomach (before even drinking a glass of water or brushing teeth) take a spoonful of GingerChi Oral Detox into mouth.
2. Swish around the mouth for 15 - 20 minutes. Do not swallow! Make sure you push the oil through your teeth and all around the gums. If you find it difficult to make it the full 20 minutes, you could start with 5-10 minutes first. There are many things you can do while you are oil pulling For example, decide what you want to wear, have a shower, check your emails, read the paper, make breakfast.
3.When the oil gets thinner and becomes milky and frothy as it mixes with saliva you can spit it out into the toilet (but not if it’s a septic tank, as it will clog) or the trashcan.
4. Rinse well with warm water. Swish a few times with warm water to get any remaining oil out of my mouth. You can also swish with warm salt
5. Brush well. You will have have experienced a cleaner, more refreshed mouth!
If you want to find out more, a great resource is “Oil Pulling Therapy” by Dr. Bruce Fife.
Want to give Oil Pulling a try? Take advantage of our site-wide sale to get 25% off GingerChi Oral Detox and other Self-care products.