Oil Cleansing - What is it?
The practice of Oil cleansing dates back thousands of years, to early Egyptian cultures. As the industrial world developed this practice gave way to the convenience of cleansing with soap and water.
Today most people prefer the use of foamy cleansers to get the job done. But more recently, cleansing your face using certain types of oil is becoming increasingly popular in the skincare world.
Many years ago, before GingerChi’s existence, I was introduced to oil cleansing by a good friend of mine. She swore by it, saying it was the best clean she had ever experienced. She even bought an expensive big brand oil cleanser for me to try, in her attempts to convert me.
But truth be told, I didn’t get it. I couldn’t get the oil off my face. Tissues did not work and the oil did not break down with water. I didn’t tell my friend but I happily went back to my foamy cleanser.
It seemed counterintuitive to clean one’s face with oil. Isn’t that part of the gunk you’re supposed to remove?
That all changed when I became obsessed with aromatherapy and understood the power of plant oils. One of our very first GingerChi products was the Purifying Oil Cleanser.
The Best Oils for Cleansing
With powerful plant-based ingredients such as Camelia seed, jojoba, castor, ginger root, and vitamin E, our silky smooth Purifying Oil Cleanser dissolves away dirt, makeup, and impurities. Leaving skin feeling amazingly clean, dewy soft and with no greasy residue.
Based on the principle of ‘like dissolves like” putting clean nourishing oils on your skin has a multitude of benefits. Namely:
- Cleans out clogged pores.
- Dissolves makeup; removes dirt, dead skin cells.
- Rids pores of excess sebum.
Why it Works
It all comes down to balance.
I realized it was not just about slapping oil on the face. There’s a method to oil cleansing. It’s about the type of oil used. How it works with your skin’s own sebum and the technique for removing the remaining oil residue.
From my personal experience, having suffered from an oily t-zone and big pores most of my life, converting to oil cleansing has definitely balanced my skin. It's changed my life. I’m looking better now than when I was younger!
Whether you have dry, oily, acne-prone or combination skin, Oil Cleansing can benefit just about everyone. And when done properly and consistently, it can balance oil secretion in oily skin, hydrate dry skin, decrease blackheads and acne, and nourishes deep into layers of the epidermis for a healthier more radiant complexion.
How it’s Done
I like to clean my face at night so I make it part of my nighttime ritual. Unlike regular cleansers, I have found by first massaging my face with oil, and in particular the GingerChi Purifying Cleanser, not only cleans out my pores and helps rid my skin of impurities but also releases any facial tension that has built up during the day. This simple routine helps my skin stay in equilibrium and promotes cell growth while sleeping.
GingerChi’s Oil Cleansing Method
All you need:
1. Warm a few drops of GingerChi’s Purifying Cleansing Oil between the palms and apply to skin. Gently massage around the face and neck focusing on areas where oil tends to accumulate. Press gently on acupressure points to relax tension, giving yourself a nice uplifting face massage.
2. Take the Organic Muslin Cloth and run it under hot water. Wring out and lay the steaming cloth over the face for a few seconds. Take a couple of deep breathes and feel yourself totally relaxing. As you wipe away impurities and makeup, the soft muslin texture gently exfoliates away dead skin cells. Rinse cloth and repeat if needed. Your face should feel dewy soft and supple.
3. Tone your face with a spritz of refreshing Hydrating Chi Mist made with nourishing and soothing rose and chamomile flower waters. Tap lightly into skin.
4. Finally, warm a few drops of GingerChi Regenerating Face Serum or our new Blue Tansy Balance Face Oil between palms and apply to your face. You can prolong the ritual by using the Bian Hot Stone Roller or Jade Gua Sha to further enhance and sculpt your face.
Hope you enjoyed this article and will give Oil Cleansing a go. If you already oil cleanse, let me know how you like it. Would love to hear from you.
Be well and with good Chi,